The Carinthian International Jazz Award (CIJA)
We aim to culturally vitalize and diversify the region. In addition we hope to create much needed performance and career opportunities for young deserving jazz musicians. We accept applicants from every country around the globe. The CIJA is held annually and accepts applicants who are under the age of 30. The CIJA is an equal opportunity event. Accordingly, we only accept audio files to ensure the highest possible degree of fairness and objectivity.
How the Competition Works
- Application deadline: June 10, 2023
- Finalists announced: June 23, 2023
- Send link to audio files to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eligibility: Saxophonists under 30 (as of July 29, 2023)
- Finals: July 29, 2023 in-person in Arnoldstein, Austria.
- Application Guidelines: See Below
- 1. EUR 600,-
- 2. EUR 400,-
- 3. EUR 200,-
We also provide free accommodation (hotel or Airbnb) for all finalists from July 29th – July 30th, 2023.
The winner will get to perform one song as a featured soloist with the Kelag Big Band after the placements are announced to close out the evening.
- Fill out the registration form
- Submit the payment of the application
- Send the link to your audio file. Follow the instructions below.
How to Pay
CIJA Registration Fee
How to Apply
APPLICATION FILE GUIDELINES
Submit ONE LINK TO AN AUDIO FILE containing ZWO CONTRASTING PIECES. The two selections must be from two different categories.:
Category 1 Ballads: “Body and Soul,” “In a Sentimental Mood,” or similar.
Category 2 Bebop: “Donna Lee,” “Anthropology,” or similar.
Category 3 Blues: “Tenor Madness,” “Billie’s Bounce,” or similar.
Category 4 Standard: “There Will Never Be Another You,” “Have You Met Miss Jones,” or similar.
Category 5 Latin: “Recorda Me,” “Blue Bossa,” or similar.
- You have to be accompanied by a backing track or other musicians.
- The performance must be no longer than 6 minutes in total.
- We will not listen to your file before we have received your application fee.
Judges will focus on the following musical parameters:
Clarity, Intonation, Technique, Interpretation, Expressiveness, Sound, Articulation, Use of Language, Individuality, Time/Rhythm, Interplay, Inventiveness, Strength of Ideas, Use of Harmonic Concepts, Emotive Strength, etc.