The Carinthian International Jazz Award (CIJA)
We aim to culturally vitalize and diversify the region. In addition we hope to create much needed performance and career opportunities for young deserving jazz musicians. We accept applicants from every country around the globe. The CIJA is held annually and accepts applicants who are under the age of 30. The CIJA is an equal opportunity event. Accrodingly, we only accept audio files to ensure the highest possible degree of fairness.
How the competition works
- When: Finalists announced on July 15, 2021.
- Where: Send your audio files to email@example.com.
- Eligibility: Saxophonists who are not older than 30 on July 15, 2021.
- Application Guidelines: See Below
- Application Deadline: July 1, 2021.
- 1. EUR 1500,-
- 2. EUR 100,-
- 3. EUR 500,-
- Fill out the registration form
- Submit the payment of the application
- Send your file. Follow the simple instructions below.
How to pay
CIJA Registration Fee
HOW TO Apply
APPLICATION FILE GUIDELINES
Submit ONE AUDIO FILE containing ZWO CONTRASTING PIECES. The two tunes have to be from two different categories.:
Category 1 Ballads: Body and Soul, In a Sentimental Mood, or similar.
Category 2 Bebop: Donna Lee, Anthropology, Ornithology, or similar.
Category 3 Blues: Tenor Madness, Billie’s Bounce, Blue Train, or similar.
Category 4 Standard: I Got Rhythm, There Will Never Be Another You, Have You Met Miss Jones, or similar.
Category 5 Latin: Recorda Me, Blue Bossa, Girl From Ipanema, or similar.
- You have to be accompanied by a backing track or other musicians.
- The performance should be no longer than 6 minutes in total.
- Recording quality does not have a baring on our assessment but try for the best sound.
- We will not listen to your file before we have received your application fee.
The judges for the CIJA 2021 will be announced in April 2021.
Judges will focus on the following musical parameters:
Clarity, Intonation, Technique, Interpretation, Expressiveness, Sound, Articulation, Use of Language, Individuality, Time/Rhythm, Interplay, Inventiveness, Strength of Ideas, Use of Harmonic Concepts, and Emotive Strength.